Monday, May 24, 2010

Woke up, and my neck has this unbearable pain. It feels like I pulled a muscle, any advice!?

Well, today I woke up, took a shower. Then in the shower this excruciating pain took over my body. It felt like I pulled a muscle in my neck. I got out, and walked over to my bed. I almost blacked out from the pain walking over there, then I layed down. I've been asleep for like 5 hours, just woke up and the pains not gone. I have to keep my neck still, for it not to hurt, any help? Please, I'm desperate.

Woke up, and my neck has this unbearable pain. It feels like I pulled a muscle, any advice!?
Place ice on the area in the back of the neck. Keep it on for about fifteen minutes. This should help to numb and calm the area down. Do this every hour and do not apply any heat as this will make things worse! If you can get to the floor try this if you have a rolling pin. Lie on your back and place the rolling pin under the neck. Rest there for a few minutes and then very gently push the rolling pin toward the top of the neck. This will create a slight traction on the neck. Hold this for a few seconds and gently relax. Do this a few times and let the neck calm down. Use a soft cervical collar on the neck to take the stress off. If you don't have access to one simply roll a hand towel up into thirds and place it around the neck. Do not make it too tight as it should fit snuggly but not tightly. Fasten it with a safety pin and move around the house. Wear this to bed for a few days to give the muscles a chance to relax. Again use the ice every hour that you can. The rolling pin traction should work but other than home it can be hard to perform. If there is no relief in a day or so go to your doctor. Seeing a physical therapist would also help. If your state has direct referral to a therapist going there is a great start. If not see the doctor for a referral.


No comments:

Post a Comment